Bipolar Disorder Rehab Centers
Mood swings are a part of everyone’s life. But when the rapid change in mood causes severe manic and depressive episodes that interfere with the ability to carry out even mundane routine tasks, then something is wrong. Such symptoms indicate the possibility of suffering from bipolar disorder. According to the National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH), “Bipolar disorder, sometimes referred to as manic-depressive disorder, is characterized by dramatic shifts in mood, energy, and activity levels that affect a person’s ability to carry out day-to-day tasks.”
-National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH)
The NIMH states that 2.6 percent U.S. adults suffer from bipolar disorder and 82.9 percent of these cases are severe. However, only 48.8 percent people receive proper treatment. As per the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the age for the onset of bipolar disorder is 25 years and in comparison to women, men usually show the symptoms earlier.
If your or your loved one is suffering from bipolar disorder, seek treatment immediately. The certified representatives of Recover Mental Health can help you find the best bipolar disorder treatment near your area. You may call at 866-593-2339.
Symptoms of Bipolar Disorder
Bipolar disorder can have both manic and depressive episodic moods. During manic episodes, mood can be extremely euphoric with high levels of energy. On the other hand, during depressive episodes, mood can be extremely low, along with feelings of despair and hopelessness. A less severe manic episode is known as a hypomanic episode.
-Recover Mental Health
Symptoms of both manic and depressive episodes can differ from person to person in terms of severity, pattern and frequency. However, people suffering from this disorder can exhibit either an elated mood or an extremely saddened disposition. The NIMH lists certain symptoms of bipolar disorder.
Symptoms of a manic episode are:
- having an increased level of energy
- feeling elated for no apparent reason
- becoming extremely active
- talking about different things at a faster pace
- feeling that the thoughts are racing fast inside the head
- experiencing extreme agitation and irritability
- having sleeplessness
Symptoms of a depressive episode are:
- getting feelings of emptiness and unhappiness
- having less or no energy at all
- having suicidal tendencies
- getting feelings of hopelessness and tiredness
- facing concentration problems and forgetfulness
- lacking initiation to do anything
Some people may have mixed episodes of mania and depression. They may experience
sadness, hopelessness and at the same time may feel active too.
Types of Bipolar Disorder
On the basis of the type of moods experienced by an individual, bipolar disorder can be divided into four types.
- Bipolar I Disorder: In this type of bipolar disorder, a person shows manic symptoms that can last for a week and needs immediate medical attention. Moreover, depressive episodes can also occur simultaneously, lasting for at least two weeks.
- Bipolar II Disorder: In this type of bipolar disorder, an individual does not show full-blown manic episodes, instead, he shows hypomanic episodes, along with depression.
- Cyclothymic Disorder: In cyclothymic disorder, an individual can experience a milder form of a depressive and hypomanic episode that can last for up to two years. However, in children and adolescents, the same symptoms can be present for a year.
- Others: An individual might exhibit bipolar disorder symptoms which do fall into the above categories but can be an underlying cause for some other mental or substance abuse disorder.
Bipolar Disorder Treatments
Any mental health condition, if ignored, can prove to be detrimental to the physical and mental health of a person and bipolar disorder is no different. Getting a specialized treatment from a reliable mental health treatment provider can only help an individual get better since it has unpredictable highs and lows. An effective treatment plan usually includes a combination of both psychotherapies and medications.
-Recover Mental Health
Psychotherapies: Psychotherapies are the foundation of any bipolar disorder treatment as they help a person cope with the unpredictable mood swings. Working with a counselor in an individual or group sessions can help a person manage stress levels, form better relationships socially, enhance lifestyle choices, and most importantly, cope with uncomfortable symptoms.
Medication: Medication is also an important part of bipolar disorder treatment because it helps regulate moods and ease symptoms. Medication, coupled with psycho-therapeutic treatments, can help an individual manage the ups and downs of the disorder.
Other complementary treatments like yoga, meditation, exercises, acupuncture, etc. can help a bipolar patient in the recovery process.
Prognosis of Bipolar Disorder
The doctors at a bipolar disorder treatment facility are specialists in identifying the severity of the condition and any other underlying mental health or substance abuse problem. Though bipolar disorder is usually hereditary, there are instances when the disorder can be an underlying problem in itself and can be a result of excessive abuse of substances or any other mental illnesses.
-Recover Mental Health
Prognosis of bipolar disorder involves two main steps:
- Mental assessments: The doctors carry out proper psychological tests that help identify the cause, duration, severity and history of the problem.
- Physical assessments: Though there are no lab tests to identify bipolar disorder, specialists concerned run certain tests to determine the presence of any underlying cause that might trigger the onset of the disorder.
In addition to such assessments, the doctors understand the complete family history to establish a dialogue between family and friends to comprehend better the mood and related behaviors.
Finding the best treatment centers
Such prognosis and treatments can be availed in inpatient treatment centers or outpatient treatment centers. Inpatient treatment centers provide round-the-clock care to patients under the supervision of trained mental health specialists. This kind of facility is effective for people with severe bipolar disorder, or someone who has a history of occurrence, or someone suffering from co-occurring disorders. Outpatient treatment centers, on the other hand, provide liberty to patients who are not in a position to take a prolonged leave from work. He/She can always seek bipolar disorder treatment on an outpatient basis and meet therapists on the designated days during the course of the recovery process.
Moreover, the high-end services offered at luxury rehab centers can provide patients the sheer pleasure of staying in a five-star hotel with facilities like spas, gym, gourmet meals, etc. Executive rehab centers, on the other hand, are a perfect place for professionals who need access to computers, mobiles and internet to carry out their professional endeavors.
Help is just a call away
Enrolling in the best recovery program of a reliable bipolar disorder treatment facility should be a priority for the patients of mental illness. However, it might be a tedious process to find the best bipolar disorder treatment program that can understand your needs and customize the treatment plan according to your needs. We, at Recover Mental Health, can help you find the best bipolar disorder treatment facility that can help you in your recovery process. To understand more about the disorder and to find the best rehab, call our 24/7 helpline at 866-593-2339. You may also chat with our treatment specialists for one of the best bipolar disorder treatments near you.